The Louth, previously known as The Louth Hotel has been a prominent feature of Mablethorpe’s town centre since the late 19th century.
We are compiling a history of the building and business, if you can help us fill in any blanks please contact us
At the end of the 19th century the railway came to Mablethorpe, creating the need for a hotel to accommodate travellers visiting this popular coastal town. Local legend has it that in anticipation of the arrival of the railway, The Eagle Hotel was built at the south end of Victoria Road close to the planned location of the railway station. However, when the station opened in 1877 it was located in the centre of Mablethorpe around a 15 minute walk from The Eagle Hotel.
It is documented that in 1878 a firm of hotel proprietors, Messrs East and Hitchcock, commissioned Mr Thomas Wilkinson Wallis of Louth (a famous wood carver who turned to architecture after damaging his eyesight while trying to observe a solar eclipse) to prepare plans for a large hotel in the centre of Mablethorpe and close to the railway station. They believed that the business would be viable because The Eagle Hotel was located so far away from the station.
The construction of The Louth Hotel was carried out by Messrs. Riggall and Hewing of Grimsby at a cost of £2,536.
In 1953 Mablethorpe was one of the areas affected by the North Sea Floods when the sea wall was breached at the area in Sandilands, now known as ‘Acre Gap’. As the town relied on tourism, a big effort was made to rebuild the affected areas ready for the summer.
In 1955, The Duke of Edinburgh visited the town to inspect progress. We are delighted to say that during his visit he ate lunch in The Louth Hotel and you can see the original menu below.
The train line to Mablethorpe was closed in 1970, just 93 years after it opened, under The Beeching Plan. The loss of the train station is lamented in Mablethorpe to this day, with many of the opinion, that the absence of the train line reduces the number of visitors to the town.
Its closure was a factor in the Louth Hotel ceasing to operate as a hotel. The ground floor was split up into our pub on the Victoria Road side and a number of shops on the main road with the 1st floor becoming residential flats. The Eagle Hotel underwent a similar transformation with parts of the building demolished to make way for residential flats and now also operates as a pub only.
In 2014 Graham Cullen and David Wilkinson bought the business and renamed it ‘The Louth’. Over the winter of 2015/16 a major modernisation and renovation began. A brand new, fully equipped kitchen was built allowing The Louth to serve a wide range of meals. The toilets have been completely rebuilt to a very high standard and the main bar area redecorated with new lighting, flooring and furniture.
The Louth Hotel has outlived the railway, seen off the flood waters and been renovated to be Mablethorpe’s best family pub in the heart of the Town Centre. We hope you’ll visit The Louth soon and be part of the history of this great pub.